Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Life of a College Couple

Having a serious relationship while in college can be quite challenging. Having a serious relationship in college while only one of the two people actually attends college is even tougher. Have a serious relationship including both of these two scenarios and then adding in a drive time of 2 1/2 hrs between the two participants homes and you've got Billy & I.

I'm not one of those people that believes everyone needs to go to college. I won't list the reasons why, but if you want a good laugh on why college isn't for everyone you should totally watch this video on Youtube called  "5 Reasons College Could be a Waste of Your Time". It's great and that title will link you to it. Point being made, college wasn't for me so I chose to work full-time. (All those A's in school for none! Darn.)

As our story goes, Billy is one of the people that actually does need college to advance his career. And I fully support him! He even got a full scholarship, which is such a blessing knowing we won't have undergrad debt hanging over our heads when we start out. He is receiving a phenomenal education at OSU and he is better off there than anywhere else for his particular major.
Unfortunately, we realized after the fact that this particular major consumes almost all of his time away. So for the past 3 years of his college life we have been maintaining love by phone calls and 1 or 2 visits a month. Sometimes 6-8 week spans. And may I say, it is tough!
Not tough as in hard to keep the love, but hard to maintain a joyful heart in the midst of the toughness. If it weren't for God and the joy I get from spending time with Him, I honestly don't know how I'd handle it. I'm sure Billy would say the same. I do however have a whole new respect for military wives in the last few years! Goodness those women really have a God-given gift.

This all comes about on days like today when I just had to send Billy off, back on his long drive to school. He was home for a grand total of 24 hours, after a 2 week span and will be gone for the next 3. My heart just grows weary sometimes. We keep saying "Soon, very soon!" every time we get sad. So I'm clinging to that!
Soon enough there will be lazy Sundays that don't end in tears, mornings of brewing coffee and work send-offs, setting a table for two, and my absolute favorite- no more "Goodbye"s.

From the support my parents give me, to the great company our friends provide, to the love and encouragement I get at the feet of Jesus, I truly know that Billy & I's relationship really is only possible when you give a girl grace. And a lot of it.

-Britney
(Sending love to all of the other couples out there also enduring the college journey together!)

No comments:

Post a Comment